Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Singleton truck smash: ‘Driver has no memory of incident’

12 October 2017 12:01 PM
71 0
Singleton truck smash: ‘Driver has no memory of incident’

THE man who allegedly ploughed a stolen semi-trailer into cars and historic buildings along Singleton’s main street told his sister he can’t remember a thing about it.

It has also been reported that Rodney Johnson, 29, who has been charged over the incident, tried to take his uncle’s truck, hours before he allegedly stole a semi-trailer from Murrurundi BP on Wednesday morning and barrelled down the New England Highway through Muswellbrook and on to Singleton.

His sister Stephani Johnson told The Daily Telegraph she had spoken to her brother on Wednesday night but “he doesn’t remember a thing”.

Ms Johnson said her brother had developed mental health problems as an adult. “Before he got sick he had a partner and children,” she said.

Johnson didn’t appear at Singleton Local Court yesterday but police said bail should be refused because of his long criminal record, and because he had avoided previous court appearances.

Johnson was charged with a number of offences, with more likely to follow, and was refused bail with the matter returning to court on November 22.

It’s understood that during his police interview, Johnson “sexually gratified” himself before urinating on a chair.

Stephani Johnson said her brother had been working as a truck driver 18 hours a day, six days a week to pay for a solicitor to try to win the right to see his young children.

Ms Johnson said their mother had seen her brother Rodney on Sunday and “he wasn’t in a great headspace”.

Ms Johnson said they called health authorities and police to warn of their concerns on Tuesday.

Seven News reported that while Johnson was in Quirindi on Tuesday he allegedly tried to take his uncle’s truck, after earlier making his way to the town via taxi from Gunnedah.

Despite police attempts to stop the juggernaut with road spikes 2km outside the town failing, police would not comment on future actions to stop such an event.

Retired rugby coach Kerry Small, 67, remains in hospital in a stable condition.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0