Teen has drink spiked in Bali

2 December 2013 7:22 AM

69 0

Teen has drink spiked in Bali

A Central Coast teenager has been evacuated from Bali after her drink was poisoned with potentially-deadly methanol.

It has prompted a new warning from the family of a teenager who died in similar circumstances earlier this year.

There were fears 18-year-old Jasmine Baker would die after her drink was spiked during a holiday in Bali.

Miss Baker was then treated by a Careflight crew and flown to Royal Darwin Hospital.

"It was a case of methanol poisoning," said Dr Len Notaras of Royal Darwin.

"It takes only 30ml, 30 to 40 ml om a cocktail or drink that can result in death."

"The happy ending in this particular case is that she has been discharged in good health," Dr Notaras added.

Drink spiking is starting to rival the threat of terrorism as the biggest worry for western tourists in Bali and surrounding islands.

Tim Davies' son Liam died earlier this year after his drink was spiked on an Indonesian island.

Mr Davies warned: "People are still thinking at main stream bars they are going to be safe."

Source: au.news.yahoo.com

To category page

Loading...