Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Bree Keller had two options the night she died in fiery Sydney CBD crash

16 September 2017 3:29 AM
73 0
Bree Keller had two options the night she died in fiery Sydney CBD crash

IT was just before 3am on a Saturday morning when Bree Keller was faced with two seemingly harmless options.

Stay partying with friends at an inner-city hotel or jump in a flash sports car with her new love interest and his mates and head to Pyrmont?

The 22-year-old hairdresser’s decision to get into the gleaming white $200,000 Nissan GTR ultimately led to her death.

Ms Keller’s catastrophic decision resonated with mother, Tania, who described it as a “sliding doors moment”.

“Get in the car or not get in the car. A wrong decision,” she said this week.

A week after Ms Keller, Jeff Nasr, 39, and his brother Steve Nasr, 31, were killed when the car, which witnesses said had been travelling at high speed, crashed, ended on its roof and burst into flames in Sydney’s CBD, a picture has emerged of the hours leading up to the tragedy.

The only survivor of the crash of the super car was father-of-four Joseph Bagala, who is still recovering in St Vincent’s Hospital.

The four police officers, including two probationary constables, who pulled him out of the wreckage moments before it exploded on September 9 will be put forward for bravery awards.

“We are fortunate and blessed to have Joseph with us today because of the selfless actions of police,” Mr Bagala’s sister, Vanessa, said.

The officers arrived on the scene minutes after the high-performance vehicle, which can reach 311km/h, hit a guardrail and ended up on its roof.

Contrary to witness claims about hearing screams from the passengers stuck inside the car, police believe Ms Keller and the Nasr brothers, from Wiley Park, were unconscious when the car went up in flames.

It is understood Ms Keller, from Narrabeen, may have met Steve Nasr in the week leading up to the crash.

However her family have said they don’t know anything about the Nasr brothers.

Friends have told police Ms Keller told them she was going with Steve to a friend’s house in Pyrmont in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Police believe Steve called his older brother, Jeff, who was in his new car with long-time friend, Mr Bagala.

The car was seen travelling at excessive speed down Goulburn St seconds before it crashed near the Harbour St on-ramp.

Mr Bagala woke up in the intensive care unit at St Vincent’s Hospital last weekend only to be told his friends had died.

The construction worker broke every rib in his body and suffered internal bleeding.

“We were all in shock and we were tormented because when we realised how close he came to not being alive,” his sister said.

“He lost some of his really good friends that night. I feel for him, I feel for everyone involved.”

The late-model GTR R-35 is currently at a holding yard on the northern beaches where it will be further examined to determine exactly what went wrong.

Investigators may learn further details by looking at the supercar’s event data recorder (EDR), similar to a black box.

An EDR stores pre-crash data that can help piece together how the car was being driven immediately before the accident.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0