Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Archive: All news

  • Vitamins’ Old, Old Edge

    10 December 2013 2:38 AM 390

    The crew was suffering from scurvy, a disease that was then both bitterly familiar and deeply mysterious. No one knew why it struck sailors or how to cure it. But on that 1602 voyage, Ascensión witnessed what he considered a miracle. While the crew was ashore burying the dead, one sick sailor picked up a cactus fruit to eat. He started to feel better

  • NSW govt must improve on child deaths

    10 December 2013 2:11 AM 120

    The Department of Family and Community Services Child Deaths 2012 Annual Report shows 83 children known to the department died in 2012, down from 110 the year before. Of the 83 children, 73 per cent had been the subject of a report to the department, while the remaining 27 per cent had a sibling who was the subject of a report. "This report today gives

  • Australian stocks move higher

    10 December 2013 1:42 AM 42

    Updated: 12:40, Tuesday December 10, 2013 The Australian stock market has pushed higher as bargain hunting investors take advantage of the previous day's sell-off. CMC Markets chief market analyst Ric Spooner said the local market had pushed ahead despite a lacklustre lead from Wall Street. He said the move was likely a rebound from Monday's session

  • Dairy and meat exports to boost farm earnings

    10 December 2013 1:38 AM 46

    High global dairy prices and demand for Australian beef and lamb are expected to lead farm export earnings to record levels this financial year. The Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) is forecasting the value of farm export earnings to reach $38 billion in the 2013-2014 year, representing an increase of about

  • Weak domestic spending weighs on GDP

    10 December 2013 1:11 AM 32

    THE Australian economy's great rebalancing act had a touch of the wobbles in the September quarter. Stronger housing and retail spending data over the past few months raised hopes that the non-mining parts of the economy were ready to balance out the expected fall in mining and resources investment. However, official gross domestic product figures out on Wednesday

  • Firies pay rise 'may end up pay cut'

    10 December 2013 1:07 AM 15

    Updated: 22:54, Monday December 9, 2013 Queensland firefighters have been granted a pay rise before Christmas - but their union says it's fighting to ensure their employer doesn't become an Indian giver. The United Firefighters Union says while firies have received a 2.2 per cent pay increase, it may become a pay cut once their wage battle with the government

  • Four alleged bikies arrested in Qld

    10 December 2013 12:36 AM 21

    The men, aged between 30 and 56, have been charged after allegedly meeting for several hours at a hotel in the Sunshine Coast hinterland in early November. It is an offence for three or more bikie gang members to group together in public under changes to the state's criminal code. Police say all men are known members of the Rebels Criminal Motorcycle

  • The Montreal Protocol, a Little Treaty That Could

    10 December 2013 12:23 AM 47

    That treaty is known, in shorthand, as the Montreal Protocol. Its formal purpose is to save the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere, which protects the planet and its people from debilitating levels of cancer-causing ultraviolet radiation. The negotiations on behalf of the United States, in the 1980s, were carried out by the Reagan administration. And the treaty

  • Australia's last remaining analogue TV transmitters switched off

    9 December 2013 11:58 PM 107

    The analogue signal that has been beaming television pictures into Australian homes for 57 years has been switched off. The signal was switched off at nine o'clock this morning in Melbourne and remote communities in central and eastern Australia. They were the last regions receiving analogue so all Australian free-to-air television is now only available

  • Police trial new net spying technology

    9 December 2013 11:58 PM 28

    Updated: 11:23, Tuesday December 10, 2013 The Australian Federal Police will introduce controversial new technology capable of capturing and storing emails and other information sent in real time. The agency plans to trial 'deep packet inspection' technology in February before a full rollout in April. The AFP says the technology is common among commercial